Tuesday, April 9, 2013

I am her Papa...

God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. 

Eph. 1:5 (NLT)

  

As best said by John Hanibal from the A-Team “ I love it when a plan comes together”.  We all know there is a great plan for us. We often don’t know the plan and if someone would have told me this would be my plan 10 years ago I would have laughed. Many would wonder why I would want to adopt and why a TEENAGER at that. I have three wonderful children and God knows they keep me busy and feeling young. Especially my rambunctious two year old Jacob.
 
Let me start from the day Jamie told me she had a gift for me.  She had some money and wanted to give it to me to go on the upcoming mission trip to the Ukraine. I wasn't really sure I wanted to go at first.  I've never been on a mission trip, I didn't know if I could get the time off of work, and we could probably use the money for something in the house.  However, I do speak Russian and what a great opportunity to practice.  I would also love to see where my grandmother came from.  Oh, and while I’m there I can love on some orphans. The one thing I was quite sure about was the fact that I did NOT want to adopt.  I was just going to help, spend time with the kids, and practice my Russian.

When we arrived at the orphanage we entered an old but, well-kept building.  It was a bit intimidating...even for a me, so I can only imagine how the kids must feel. We start setting up for our grand production when in walks "L". It was clear that she knew our mission leader Tiffany. She came in and gave her a big hug. There was such joy in her smile to see the group there. It almost seemed to me that she’d been waiting for us to come all year. She was quiet, but very sure of herself. There was something about her that reminded me of my oldest daughter Emillie. It was so amazing to look at "L" and see the joy she had even though her future at that point looked grim.  That night I couldn't sleep.  I couldn't help but ask "Is this really her plan God?"

The next day we broke the kids up into small groups.  "L" ended up being in mine.  She has the kind of smile that’s infectious. You can’t help but smile back at her. She was so kind to the smaller children in helping with crafts and just listening to them. I could tell that she was somewhat of an older sister to many of the younger girls. I also saw a servants heart in "L" that almost brought a tear to my eye.  (Since I’m a man and I don’t cry I’ll blame the tear on a dust particle that got in my eye...but that darn dust particle would not leave me alone.) Every time I saw "L" give of herself when there was nothing to give that dust particle got in my eye. For example, I know candy is hard to come by and they only get on occasion as a treat. It really got to me when "L" brought me candy that she obviously was saving. She wanted me to have it just because I was there loving on her and her friends. She also made me a bracelet that I’m still wearing as I type this blog entry.
It was on the third day that I was able to learn more about "L". This was a special little girl with deep rooted pain, but she did not show it. You see "L" has no one in her life who loves her. No one who visits her in the orphanage.  As far has her family she has a mother and stepfather and two adult brothers. Her last memory of her mother was when her stepfather beat her mother half to death and wound up in the hospital.  "L" was then taken away. She has no further memories of her mother. She can’t even be sure she is alive today. She expressed to me that she is too old for anyone to want her. All the Americans who come to adopt always take the little kids. She feels it’s just too late for her.

That night I just knew this was not the plan for “L”. There was a greater plan for her life and I knew she was to be part of my family...she is my daughter and I am her Papa.  I don’t want to adopt her because I need more children. I want to save her life. Without adoption I fear the fate of this little girl. She deserves better and I plan to give her a new start and a better, brighter future.
This little girl has shown she is grateful for everything she has and I can’t wait to see her smile and that look in her eyes when I return to take her home and make her part of my family.

Although John Hannibal loves when a plan comes together, I love when HIS plan comes together.

4 comments:

  1. Wow James, what a truly amazing experience!(Thank you for sharing) You are a wonderful man, husband, father, friend & what a blessing you are to this young girl! God puts people in to our lives for a reason! I pray that "L" gets to come home to be with you all & be part of your family! She could not become part of a better one! May God Bless you all and make this dream come true!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You brought tears to MY eyes (and it definitely wasn't dust particles;-)! "L" is a very lucky girl to be joining you, Jamie, Emillie, Bella and Jacob, as part of the Livshin family. Lots of love to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for you guys - this is the beginning of an awesome adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog through Shelly, and wanted to say Congrats on your wonderful new adventure of adopting L! I am Alona's Mama, and hope to meet you all one day...maybe in Ukraine as we are adopting our precious daughters!! God bless

    ReplyDelete